Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Travel Tuesday - Where in Missouri is Carolee?

Editor's note: Today's post was written by Sandra Gardner Benward


The National Genealogical Society (NGS) Conference has come to an end in St Charles, Missouri. What a lot of fun following along with all the live streaming videos offered, plus we got to hang with Carolee Jones during and after the conference. Good Conference. Thanks.

...........and plans for next year in Fort Lauderdale, Florida May 4-7, 2016 are already underway. So mark your calendar and start making your plans for 2016. 

I am still listening to videos from the NGS Conference and benefiting from them. Very interesting. Glad that I decided to go with the live streaming this time. Something for you to consider next year if you are unable to go. 

Carolee Jones is still out there, going from library to library and getting additional research done before coming home to California ............... she writes: 

After spending my last day at the NGS Conference I used the knowledge gained to first visit the St. Louis County Library on Sunday.  I began researching the Enrolled Missouri Militia my great-grandfather, Joel H. Greene, served in during the Civil War.  By Tuesday Richard and I had met Harold, the Howard County Missouri Genealogical Society president.  We spent the morning in the society library located in Fayette.  By the afternoon we toured the north western party of Howard County finding the lands my Terrill and Greene ancestors lived.  I took many photos of green fields of lands owned by the ancestors.

We visited Glasgow the home town where my grandfather, Frank H. Greene, was born.  Glasgow is on the Missouri River.  Wednesday, I researched microfilm newspapers published in Howard County.  I was especially keen to find an obituary for a second great-grandfather, Joshua Willis Terrill, both a Baptist minister and physician.  I did not find one, however, I must admit I ran out of time.  I did find a couple of small articles about his illness and death but not an obituary.  Thursday was spent in the Fayette Courthouse in the Probate and Records departments.  Much of their records has been microfilmed and at the Missouri State Archives in Jefferson City.  On my last research day, Saturday, I hope to locate more records at the Midwest Genealogy Center in the Mid-Continent Public Library, Independence, Missouri.  I plan to return home with many new documents to input into my Legacy program.

I had an excellent day at the Midwest Genealogy Center Library.  Found lots of good material but not the obit I have been hoping to find.  Someday it will pop up. 

I asked Carolee if this Midwest Genealogy Center Library is the one in Independence Missouri. I was lucky enough to go there several years ago when it first opened. It was clean, plenty of parking, clean inside and out, roomy, white and sterile and very modern and there was not much on the shelves or in the cabinets yet. Understandable but disappointing...........  

Carolee answered back:  Yes it was the Midwest Genealogy library I was visiting yesterday.  It’s shelves are full of books.  I spent the six hours or so just in one small section that dealt with Howard County.

A big thanks to Carolee Jones for taking us along on her adventures at the NGS Conference in St Charles Missouri and along for some of her extra adventures outside of the conference. Thanks again. 
 

Shop and Support Root Cellar Sacramento Genealogical Society.
Click here for details.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love getting your comments!