Thursday, September 4, 2014

Thankful Thursday ...... What Genealgocial Needs Do You Have That a Society Does Not Meet?

Editor's note: Today's post was by Sandra Gardner-Benward  - This POST is directly from the San Mateo County Genealogical Society Blog 


The discussion before this point on SMCGS blog  is about "Why do members not RENEW their memberships?"


To this we might add the question “Why have you decided NOT to join a society?”  What genealogical needs do you have that a society does not meet?  Of course, you may not HAVE any genealogical needs, like the researcher I spoke to recently who announced “I’ve traced my family back to William the Conqueror and am taking it to Kinkos to be printed and bound.”  Well fine.  But is it sourced??  Do you have all the photos, maps, documents, wax seals to substantiate and fill out your history?

Oh…you do.  Congratulations.  Will you now take up hang gliding?

Or perhaps, just possibly, the genealogical society, local or otherwise, still has a place for you.  Let’s take a look at the above list from a new perspective:

  • o   I added to the society’s online resources, and explained them to new users
  • o   I changed my focus to another region, or became the society expert in my region.
  • o   I contributed to the newsletter
  • o   I took up photography and created a book about my family
  • o   I showed people how I do genealogical research
  • o   I ran for the board and changed how the society was managed
  • o   I coordinated efforts between my society and another
  • o   I am teaching in the society
  • o   We went online, and open hours became a thing of the past
  • o   Parking is still a problem
  • o   From my contacts, I found new lecturers and workshop leaders
  • o   I’m always glad to share my experience with other members


There IS life after William the Conqueror.  And your genealogical society can be a part of it. It doesn’t mean you can’t take up hang gliding as well.

Thanks to San Mateo County Genealogical Society.  I love the way you turned the questions around to a positive. These suggestions are excellent and when I get to that point that I have nothing else to research I will refer back to all these great opportunities......... although I am already doing several of the items on the list, just ahead of myself.


Shop and Support Root Cellar Sacramento Genealogical Society.
Click here for details.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love getting your comments!