Editor's note: Today's post was edited by Sandra Gardner-Benward and written by 5 May 2014 NGS Blog Post
I am so envious of those that are attending the 2014 NGS Conference in Richmond, Virginia right now.
"Wednesday is Society Night at the Marriott" May 7 at 5:15-7:15 pm
On Wednesday the conference program does not end at 5:00 p.m. Twenty-seven genealogical and historical societies from Virginia and a few from Pennsylvania, will be on display at the Marriott Hotel in the Grand Ballroom Foyer on the lobby level and Capital Ballroom Foyer on the lower level, to answer questions about local repositories and resources, discuss their group’s activities, and sell their publications. Certainly a great way to learn more about the resources available in the Richmond area and across the state.
Look who will be available to answer questions. These are very valuable resources to have in your tool bag. .......... learn what they have available and take advantage of it while you are at conference .........
1. Virginia Historical Society
2. Virginia Genealogical Society
3. Fairfax Genealogical Society
4. Friends of the Virginia State Archives
5. Genealogical Research Institute of Virginia (GRIVA)
6. Richmond Chapter, Virginia Society, Sons of the American Revolution
7. Afro American Historical and Genealogical Society, Inc.
8. Goochland County Historical Society
9. Virginia Beach Genealogical Society
10. Augusta County Genealogical Society
11. Mary Ball Washington Museum and Library
12. Orange County Historical Society
13. Louisa County Historical Society
14. Central Rappahannock Heritage Center
16. Thomas Balch Library
17. Friends of Hollywood Cemetery
18. Beth Ahabah Museum and Archives
19. Jones Memorial Library
20. Manakin Huguenot Society
23. Chesterfield Historic Society
24. National Society Colonial Seventeenth Century
25. Shenandoah County Historical Society
26. Elegba Folklore Society, Inc.
27. Tidewater Genealogical Society
28. Western PA Genealogical Society
29. Genealogical Research Institute of Pittsburgh GRIP
30. Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania
A number of the above societies also had a blog post as part of the Virginia Repositories series which ran on the NGS Conference Blog January through March. You can find those posts at http://conferenceblog.ngsgenealogy.org/search/label/research where over fifty articles were written about Research facilities and repositories across Virginia.
We hope Society Night will be a great success and will connect people up!
IF you are not attending and want to participate you can always purchase a track of sessions being offered live streaming straight from the classroom in Richmond Virginia....... great way to participate and not even leave home. AND if for some reason you will be busy and can't attend the live streaming sessions you can watch them on your computer as many times as you want through 10 August, 2014. What a great deal.
NOTE: I just received my email (6 May) from NGS Live Stream
Access with my instructions on how to access the live stream sessions coming up this Thursday & Friday. So check your email for your invitation.
KEEP IN MIND: Since a couple of my sessions are being live streamed at 8am and 9:30am EASTERN TIME, that would be 5am and 6:30 am our time- NO WAY. The taped version will be available to watch about 24 hours later and I will watch it when it is convenient for me.
Shop and Support Root Cellar Sacramento Genealogical Society.
Click here for details.