Monday, May 5, 2014

Matrilineal Monday - Agnes

Editor's note: Today's post was edited by Sandra Gardner-Benward & written by member Joan Conzatti




Again another special heirloom that has been passed down through many generations. Owner and Root Cellar SGS member Joan CONZATTI shared her doll with other Root Cellar SGS members at the February Show N Tell Meeting. Thank You for sharing Joan!

"AGNES"
The China Head (Porcelain) Doll
(as related by Joan Conzatti)

I am the 5th generation to care for this doll. Here is what I know about the doll as related to me by my mother the late Alice KREUTZER HOGAN:

The doll was first owned by my great, great grandmother (Martha WOODRUFF AMEN) who was born in Missouri in 1847. Her daughter (Iona AMEN BROWN, my great grandmother) was the next family member to inherit the doll. Iona carried the doll from Missouri to Oregon traveling by wagon train. Iona's daughter (Katherine AMEN BROWN, my grandmother), was the next family member to inherit the doll. When my mother was about 8 years of age she received the doll from my Grandmother Katherine.

During the 1950's and 1960's my mother loaned the doll to the Siskiyou County Historical Museum in Yreka. The doll was on display in a glass case in the Museum;s main lobby area.

I almost got into big trouble when I was about 10 years old and took the doll from my mother's bedroom because I had plans to take it to my fort in a big Walnut tree close to our farm house. I was not fast enough and my mother caught me before the doll and I made it to the fort. I recall getting a few good swats over that caper.

.......and here she is AGNES............

In researching this porcelain "China Doll", I found the name of "Agnes" imprinted on her chest just below the neckline and the words "Patent App For Germany" stamped on her back. The doll's clothing includes a printed calico cotton dress (circa 1950) which my mother made and the original white lace-trimmed dress and bloomers. Other that that, I have no other information on where Agnes was made in Germany or what it may have cost to purchase her in the 1850's-1860's.

I cherish this beautiful China Doll. She rests on a soft, fluffy pillow in my home in the guest bedroom., If only she could talk!

Shop and Support Root Cellar Sacramento Genealogical Society
Click here for details.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love getting your comments!