Monday, August 19, 2013

Travel Tuesday - Federation of Genealogical Societies Conference

Editor's note: Today's post was written by Sandra Gardner-Benward

  FGS.org

I have arrived in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Long day of travel on Sunday- up by 3:00am, dress, last items to pack, something to eat, and off we go to the Sacramento International Airport (yeh!). Did you know that there is literally no one at the airport at 4:15am,,,,,,,, wow! check in baggage and through security in no time at all with no one pushing me along. Easy time, just got to forget what time it is.
United flight was on time and I arrived in Chicago on time. That is good because I need all the time I can get to walk from one side of their airport to the other side. Exhausted, I arrived at the departure gate, but I could have taken even more time since the flight was delayed. Of course it was delayed, the plane had not arrived yet. So almost an hour late, we took off and arrived in Fort Wayne.

Free shuttle from the airport. It was full and of course everyone is coming for the conference, What else is there? The Courtyard Downtown Fort Wayne Hotel is really nice. The hotel and the convention center are connected with a skywalk OR you can step out the front door of the hotel and walk a half block. The Allen County Public Library is about a block further (on the other side of the convention center) Weather is great, not too hot, not too cold, JUST RIGHT!! (but I will bet that my weather is a little more comfortable than Sacramento- too bad, you too could have come to the party.

Today I got a late start but why push myself this early in the week. Shower, breakfast and then off to the country's second largest genealogical library.





For those that have not visited you will have a treat when you do come. It is well worth the time and effort. Just ask Glenda, Sammie, Marilyn -they will tell you. Anyway, I spent the day at the library. I left tonight at 9pm as they were locking the doors. Yes I did find some great books on New Haven, Connecticut - vital records, ancient families, then and now of New Haven in pictures and more. So like I remember, I stacked my books that I wanted to keep that I had not finished with yet, up on the table where I was sitting today with a 8x11 paper covering them  - it says

 "Please leave these books ,Do not shelve them.  I will be returning in the morning. Thank you Sandra Benward."

 I have been assured that my books will be waiting for me in the morning, HOORAY!!!

Today I've seen George Morgan, Josh Taylor and Cindi Howell. (Ok that was my name dropping for the day.)  It is hard to believe how full the library is already -lots of people have decided to come early. (like me)  We will be elbow to elbow, toe to toe by Wednesday. Good news the library will be open till midnight Wednesday, Thursday and Friday,

I will take you on a short tour of the library tomorrow. Otherwise I will be glued to my chair in the library most of the day.

Check in for the Conference will be starting at 3pm through 7pm and then a gathering of the society delegates (that's me).

Nite all......  .ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!



Shop and Support Root Cellar Sacramento Genealogical Society.
Click here for details.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love getting your comments!