Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Tuesday - Helping Hands and Support at NGS Conference2013

Editor's note: Today's post was written by Sandra Gardner Benward

 I left on Southwest Airlines at 10:40am this morning, landing in Las Vegas at 12:05 pm
Luggage arrived with me (thank goodness), caught shuttle to LVH. 
Weather was nice but overcast and it rained after I arrived at the hotel, Dark clouds. 
The Hotel is connected to the Convention Center. It is a huge place and there will be lots of walking I just wish it wasn't through the smoke filled rooms. (just a figure of speech but not far off the truth)   
Checked in to LVH. I am on the 10th floor of 25 or more floors. The view during the day is ok but the view at night is spectacular.

CaChing ! Bells & whistles going off all the time. Oh my,  slot machines everywhere and I do mean everywhere.
 
 
To start off this conference I volunteered to help with registration. I worked from 3p to 7pm. I sure met a lot of first time goers who were very excited about attending. That kept a smile on my face. Ran into Lynne Roberts, Billie Helms and Barbara plus Kim Parker. Going back in the morning to continue with registration till 9:30am - then the conference begins for me.



A lot of activity all afternoon - last minute meetings with volunteers, staff, and staff from hotel. The Hospitality Booth staffed by DAR members, was very busy. The exhibitors were coming in all afternoon and getting set up, Representatives from the Sacramento German  Genealogical Society arrived but without Shirley Reimer. Apparently Shirley is not well and will need surgery pretty quick. I know all of you will be sending Shirley positive good healthy thoughts.

Back in my room, I am reading through all the materials I received when I checked in earlier oday. The paper syllabus is 566 pages and yes it is huge and heavy . Yes I ordered a paper print copy and thinking how will I get this home. Oh well, it will work out. Everyone received the syllabus on a flash drive. So much good information. I can hardly wait till the actual sessions to add to the information in the syllabus.
 
Big Day Tomorrow. Nite!!!!

Shop and Support Root Cellar Sacramento Genealogical Society.
Click here for details

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love getting your comments!