"Just the facts mam" was Sergeant Joe Friday's famous line from the Dragnet radio and TV series. The line also rings true in the search for ancestors. Where are the facts? What if there's a bit of fiction (lore) mixed with those facts? Can your ancestors still be found?
Answers to these questions and more await you at Family History Day at the California State Archives on Saturday, October 13, 2012. Discovering Ancestral Gold is the theme at this all day free event open to the public.
At Family History Day you will learn:
- How to start the quest for your family roots or revive old research
- What basic resources to use onsite and online
- Where to get ongoing help locally and afar
Highlights of the Day
- Welcome by Nancy Lenoil, State Archivist, California State Archives
- Keynote address by Lisa B. Lee, professional genealogist and owner of GotGenealogy.com. Ms. Lee's topic will be “Genealogy Basics, The Constant Companion of Family Historians”. Ms. Lee will also teach the class “Finding your Black Ancestors, an Introduction”.
- 25+ classes in basic genealogical research techniques and resources presented by local and statewide genealogical experts
- Tours of the Archives Preservation Lab
- “Insider” tours of the State Archives
- 25+ exhibitors representing genealogical, historical and lineage societies, research libraries, archives, and preservation experts - some offering live internet searches
- Root Cellar Genealogical Society Library - open for browsing its extensive collections and talking to the Librarian and member volunteers
- Volunteers and exhibitors wearing period clothing to reflect the bygone days of our ancestors. You too?
- La Bou Cafe, open from 9am - 2pm, 11th and "O" Streets, one block away
What you can do
- Pre-register - let us know you're coming!
- Reserve a Syllabus ($5.00) with all the class handouts and list of exhibitors
- Pre-register and reserve a Syllabus in one email sent to email@example.com
- Follow or subscribe to the Blog for Family History Day for event details
- Tell a friend, bring a friend!
Family History Day
California State Archives
1020 “O” Street, Sacramento
Saturday, October 13, 2012
8:30am - 4:30pm
Cost: Free (see ''What you can do'' above)
(Note: several members of Root Cellar Sacramento Genealogical Society are organizing this event)
Sponsors: California State Archives; Root Cellar Sacramento Genealogical Society; Genealogical and Historical Council of Sacramento Valley, and The California Museum
posted by Denise H. Ricmond