Jamboree: Share your Favorite Ancestor Photos for a Chance to Win
We are just two months from opening the doors to the Southern California Genealogy Jamboree. Let's kick-start the Jamboree season with a special announcement. It might not be a $640 million lottery, but it would be so much fun to win.
To celebrate the Jamboree theme of Lights, Camera, ANCESTORS, our partner, 1000memories, is sponsoring a photo contest, and you can win a prize valued at $220.
1000memories.com is the new shoebox for your old photos. 1000memories is a free site that lets you share and preserve the family photos that are sitting in your old albums and hard drives. 1000memories makes it easy to digitize, preserve, and share your family history with the right people.
Share your favorite ancestor photo for a chance to win one of THREE Scan Cafe scanning kits to digitize up to 1,000 photos, slides, and or negatives (a $220 value). The photo in each of these three categories with the most “likes” by the start of Jamboree wins!
- The most humorous photo of an ancestor
- Pre-1900 photos
- Photo of the best-dressed ancestor
Here’s how it works.
- Visit 1000memories.com and register for a free account.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org for an invitation to the Jamboree community shoebox. Put "Jamboree Shoebox" in the subject line.
- Add your favorite ancestor photos at http://bit.ly/HmnmaS and identify the category by adding it as the photo caption.
- Identify the person in the photo by adding a tag. Please include the name and other information as you wish: time period and location where the photo was taken.
- You can upload as many photos as you like.
- Please email email@example.com for assistance using ShoeBox.
- View the photos that have been uploaded. Feel free to check back often to see new photos as they are added.
- Vote for the favorite photos by clicking on the photo, and then clicking on the small heart on the left side of the photo to “like” them.
- You may vote for any photo only once.
- Voting closes at 12:00 noon Pacific Daylight Time on Friday, June 8, when the doors officially open for Jamboree.
- Winners will be announced during the Social Hour at 5:00 on Saturday.
- The contest is open to everyone. Need not be a Jamboree attendee to participate.
- Only one prize will be issued per person.
- Photos will be accessible to the public through Internet Archive "forever" and you may choose to remove them after Jamboree. Your call.
- Photo slideshows will be displayed throughout Jamboree.
- Officers of the Southern California Genealogical Society and the Jamboree Committee may participate but are not eligible to win.
If you don’t have digital copies of your photos, you can scan your photos using ShoeBox by 1000memories - a free photo-scanning app for iPhone and Android.If you don’t have a smartphone or scanner, simply take a photo of the photo with a digital camera and upload it to the Jamboree shoebox.
ScanCafe is the global leader in professional scanning services, having scanned over 65 million images. Scanning kits are specially designed packing boxes to send up to 1,000 photos, slides, and/or negatives to ScanCafe’s scanning facility. Each of your photos is scanned by hand by a trained technician, a digital copy is automatically added to a private shoebox on 1000memories, and your originals are returned to you along with a copy of your photos on DVD.
You can't win if you don't play!
Posted by Ron Setzer